Let me introduce you to a funny guy if you don’t already know him. Meet Aaron Traister. He says what husbands are thinking – in a way that wives will recognize. Take his article regarding what he learned about women on Pinterest, for instance. Most guys can sum up their confusion about what the big draw there is with a shrug, dismissive wave, or a sentence shorter than ‘blah, blah, blah’. Not Aaron. He took the opportunity to explore that alien venue and learn things about the opposite sex – and as a blogger and columnist for Redbook magazine, he is happy to be a voice for other men and share his discoveries so women may be enlightened about what they’re thinking! Here are 5 of those lessons he learned about women on Pinterest.
On designer baby pictures: The quest for the most unusual baby photo is your white whale. I don’t ever remember walking into any of my friends’ houses when I was young and seeing framed pictures of them as newborns nestled inside a worn leather baseball glove or sleeping on a mossy rock in a beautiful field. This is a weird new phenomenon, and I wonder, why are women into it? The Pinterest baby-photography thing looks like ads for small humans. Who wouldn’t want this baby that sleeps in a catcher’s mitt?! It’s the perfect baby for the sporty guy in your life! Am I saying I never posed my baby in an empty pizza box or on top of the sleeping dog? Of course not—I’m just saying it was a daddy/baby moment, and I didn’t need a professional to capture it.
On inspirational affirmations: Am I alone in finding all the quotes and inspirational messages depressing? We can all use a pep talk from time to time, but when you realize that someone has pinned 40 affirmations—”A strong woman is one who is able to smile this morning like she wasn’t crying last night”—in three hours, suddenly it feels a little too personal for social media.
On what’s cooking: It’s all about chicken dinners “made easy.” I argued with my editor about this. I maintain that chicken dinners aren’t that hard; I make roast chicken once a week. My editor said that easy chicken dinners are boring and women like her seek new ones. With all due respect, boss, a roast chicken is never boring, because you never roast the same chicken twice.
On hair trends: I will never know what a “bob” is. You can show me one hundred pins of a woman’s bobbed hair and I will still have no clue what exactly is going on. Dudes are generally blind to hairstyles, so cut us some slack when you say “curly bob” and we think you’re talking about some guy from the office.
On the perfect gift: Vintage photography is for lovers. Apparently, shooting photos in black and white automatically makes them romantic. This is good to know, since the only current photo of my wife, Karel, and me is from a cousin’s wedding and we’re both stuffing our faces. I’m gonna slap a black-and-white filter on that bad boy and it will magically transform into a whimsical, French-looking meditation on true love.
For the rest of his candid observations about what’s going on with women at Pinterest, read his article 12 Things I Learned About Women on Pinterest.
1. It’s all about doing what works.
3. A new way to send (pack?) a love note! Scratch your message onto the banana peel and by lunch it has “appeared”!4. May your wishes come true. (So I guess there are 102 Things to Say to Make Your Mate Feel Great!) This one’s simple to whip up, too!
If you’re going to laugh your way to a longer, healthier marriage, you need to know how – and where – to get your laugh on. Here are five options that you might not have been aware of!
1. Laughing groups. Chances are your favorite hobby has a laughing group. I checked out the meetup website for laughing groups, put in my zipcode, and found 6 groups in a 25 mile range. Yoga laughing, hiking laughing, karaoke laughing, outdoor enthusiasts laughing and more. Click on the picture for meetup sites and options.
2. Check out funny pictures on the Make Me Laugh blog. The author takes pictures that are out there, like the one below, and adds some humor to it.
3. All things Bill Cosby. Many only know Bill (yes, we’re on a first name basis) from his 80s sitcom. But his comedy goes way back. And it’s still funny. To check out a sampling of his old comedy routines, click the picture to see 9 that Parade put together. If you like them, you can find plenty more on YouTube.
4. The Best of Herman. LOVE this book. (I also love Herman – and my husband’s OK with that.) It is what I send to friends who need a pick-me-up. It’s my go-to when I’m a bit down – I can open it to any page and there’s going to be a smile-inducer there. And I am definitely not above using it as a quick way (it’s like cheating) to get a laugh out of my husband.
5. Funny animals. There is no lack of entertaining animal videos out there. I lost a chunk of my life researching this for you (you’re welcome!). Here is one of the shorter videos I found, but if this type of Pet TV makes you laugh, there’s plenty to choose from. Once you do an internet search for “funniest animals,” the hard part is deciding which ones not to watch!
LAUGH YOUR WEEKEND OFF!