You’re right on track with your New Year’s Resolution to have a regular date night with your spouse. You have a list of great date ideas, you both have set aside that special night, and you’re both looking forward to it. So what could possibly go wrong?
Nothing – if you avoid the following Date Busters!
1. Being late. Sure, stuff happens. But it doesn’t have to be stuff that could be avoided with some simple planning. Don’t take that last minute call. Avoid the temptation to do a quick errand en route. Nothing says “you’re special” like demonstrating your eagerness to spend your date time with the one you love by being on time.
2. Talking too much shop. Whether your job is in the house or out, talking too much about your daily frustrations or detailed accounts of activities that your spouse wasn’t part of can be a date-downer. There’s nothing wrong with sharing info with each other about what’s going on for you, of course. But part of the getting out together is to connect and focus on each other – and have some fun.
3. A roving eye. You know – eying appreciatively other good lookers. And don’t give me lame excuses like I can look as long as I don’t touch or I’m only human or I may be looking but I’m HERE with (oh-so-lucky) him/her. Ogling others in the presence of your mate is just plain disrespectful.
4. Not turning off the electronics. You knew this would be on the list, right? It should have been number one, but I didn’t want to start out with something so obvious. The exceptions to the rule are if your sitter needs to be able to contact you, it is mandatory for your employment, or there is a potential emergency that you are waiting for word on. And even then, there should be an agreement that you will only take calls that fit into the designated category – all others can leave a message at the sound of the beep.
5. Forgetting your manners. In addition to the basics of please and thank you, pull out the old-fashioned courtesies. Opening the door for your mate, assisting up a curb, pulling out a chair, and – as important – allowing your mate to open the door, assist you and pull out your chair.
What behavior do you consider a Date Buster?
Image credit: public domain jpeg from wpclipart.com