Valentine’s Day brings with it expectations about how we will express our love: flowers, candy, jewelry, dinner out, stuffed animals and Hallmark cards. There’s nothing wrong with any of those things – other than they’re a little. . . well, predictable. Sometimes it’s the little things – the quietest gestures – that say “I love you” the loudest.
Here are 5 ways to say “I love you” without words.
1. Blow a kiss. Whether across a crowded room where you only have eyes for your mate, or across an empty room in your own home with no people in between the two of you, it’s likely to result in a smile or a return air kiss directed at you.
2. Silent massage. Be it the ‘ol sneak up behind ’em and rub their neck and shoulders or reaching for a foot as you watch TV together, you’re sure to get a wordless ‘mmmmmmmmmm.’
3. Dedicate a song. You have to be of a certain age to get this one. If you know you’re going to be listening to the radio as you work in the garage together or drive to that social engagement, call the radio station, request a song and ask that it be dedicated to your sweet spouse. An updated version? Have that special song cued up so when they start their car engine it’s the first thing they hear.
4. Have a bath ready. When they get home. Or right after the kids are put to bed. With two towels waiting to be used.
5. Provide a smile. Easy to do by putting that fun photo of the two of you or a comic strip that made you think of them in a place they will stumble across during their day. Here’s one that put a smile on my face – when I first saw it taped to my steering wheel some years back and – because I framed it – many times since!
Happy Valentine’s Day!