Stuff is not evil. Everybody needs stuff. Even minimalists have some stuff. But how much stuff you have is not a measure of how rich your are. The secret to getting rich is to identify your wealth – then appreciate it and give it the value it’s due. Let’s get started assessing your wealth.
1.Think about what you love about your mate. Maybe even write it all down. Now review your list. Did anything on it cost money?
2. If you and your mate received wonderful news, how many people would you call because they’d be happy for you? If your answer is anything other than ‘zero,’ celebrate your wealth.
3. Are you well thought of at work? Do family members trust you with a secret? Are you known for your integrity in your community? If you enjoy a good reputation, you have an asset that money can’t buy.
4. Do you have cherished memories? Childhood events, good times with loved ones, family moments? Would you trade cold hard cash for them?
5. Laughter. The loveliest of stuff. Do you have it? Do you share it? Are you aware that there are people who have no laughter in their lives?
6. Faith doesn’t come with a price tag that has a dollar amount on it.
7. The ability to read allows you to experience the world in a way that is not available to some. Bonus: Libraries – places you can go read almost anything you can imagine for FREE!
8. Love – for your mate, family, friends – cannot be bought, sold, or transferred. And it’s transportable. Unlike much of the other stuff you have, it can be taken with you where ever you go.
9. If you are reading this in the United States of America, you have freedoms that are unknown in many other places.
10. My parents, married over 65 years, have been known to start the day with one saying to the other: “I checked the obituaries today – we’re not in it. It’s going to be a good day.” (Now you can better understand where my ‘special’ sense of humor comes from!) Point being, I think most would agree that life is more precious than money. And if you’re reading this – you obviously have it.
Even though we can’t touch it or stack it, we all have substantial amounts of accumulated wealth. The secret to getting rich is to appreciate it – really appreciate it – on a daily basis.
WHAT HAS MADE YOU RICH?